Islamic Garden

Islamic Garden
Islamic Garden in Lausanne, Switzerland

Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Al-Fatiha - a Western perspective

I come to the text as an individual who is engaged in a solitary reading (which is the way Westerners come to the text). That is how I engaged this text. Of course, in its context of time and place, the al-Fatiha was recited and heard by at least two people (the reciter and the one who is being recited to) thus making it a communal in hearing.


al-Fatiha (the opening)

In the name of the Infinite Light and Life,
the One of total Grace and Mercy.
I offer my devotion and praise,
to the One who continually creates all worlds.
To the One who gives without thought of return,
from whom flows eternal mercy,
protecting us from judgment:
I offer my devotion and praise;
I offer my deeds and thought.
I only ask that you show me the true path,
so that I do not go astray leading to spiritual non-existence.

peace,
Jim Davis
Author of "The Shia Imami Ismaili Muslims - A Short Introduction"
Ozark Bioregion, USA

No comments: